Old July 18th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More trailer tire/wheel issues

A year later, I'm still having the problem I've had off and on for over 20 years on my 1992 Cobra: i.e., after a moderately hard stop, the brakes occasionally jam on and stay on.

New damper strut. Disassembled and lubed the overrun tongue piston. Same for the pivot for the e-brake/hook. New brake hardware and shoes. Lubed the actuator cables. Filed out the slot in the inner tongue tube that had a very small machining discontinuity that I thought might cause the big bolt that slides in it and holds it all together to jam.

I know most owners are happy with their Al-Ko overrun brakes. But based on my experience, I'd never buy another one. I'm ready to rip out all the Al-Ko junk and go with an aftermarket axle. Apparently, if one tiny thing is wrong, you're looking at a blown tire, burned bearing, or worse. I bought a tire pressure/temp monitor last year that alerts me now when the temps start to climb but what a pain. I suspect I'll just disconnect the brake permanently.

I continue to think this is another example of European/German pilots lovingly devoting hours and hours of maintenance to their Daimlers and Cobras every year while we Americans just want to jump in our vehicles and drive 3000 miles across the country to a contest, hassle-free.

Chip Bearden