Old July 26th 03, 03:59 AM
Richard Lamb

David O wrote:

There have been many posts in recent months by people contemplating
their own complicated and even radical designs. Reading between the
lines, it appears that many of those people have yet to build their
first plane. May I kindly suggest that one's first plane should be a
time-proved kit or plans-built plane with no major builder
modifications. Build it, fly it, and maintain it for several hundred
hours. After you've accomplished this, revisit your fancy schmancy
dream machine. I expect that by that time, for most people anyway,
reality will have dawned.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com -- Oshkosh Bound!!!

P-51 syndrome, David.

If you are never really going to build it, why not build a P-51?
Hellofalot more impressive than some weekend flyer!

I have a friend who wants to build a scaled ME-262 Swallow.
Granted, the guy is an A&P, and he did work on the Stormbirds.
But he's never built an airplane before.

Setting the bar that high on a first time project (especially
a new design first time project), well, I dunno.

People have done it before.

But not many.

Richard