Old April 1st 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Who pays follow-up

I am still happy. I have flown quite a few approaches in VMC and about 15 in
real IMC using the eFB. I have gained enough confidence with it that it is
now my sole reference. When I know where I am going in advance, I do print
the destination charts for backup and so that I have the airport diagram and
FBO info easily accessible but I have also flown to places with no paper
backup. And, I no longer print out any enroute airports - which I used to do
just in case of a need to divert.

You are right, of course. Some things are not as easy as they could be. I
don't find selecting an approach using the stylus to be difficult - even in
turbulence. But, it does take a little patience and timing. As in, bounce -
float - touch the screen - bounce - float - touch the screen. Entering an
airport ID, however, can be pretty tough. But, I find that the eFB can be
used effectively step by step. That is, you can enter a letter - scan -
enter another letter - scan - enter the final letter - scan - pick the
approach - scan.

For normal operation, that's OK. There is plenty of time to bring up the
right chart. The tough scenarios are the practice ones where it is one
approach after another and maybe quickly switching airports. I tend to
practice at Kenosha. With a safety pilot, I did the ILS, the VOR, then
switched to Waukegan and did the ILS there. It is tempting to panic but it
really only takes about 10 seconds to bring up another approach and about 30
seconds to bring up an approach at another airport.

The cool thing is that any airport is just as accessible as the next. No
more fumbling for the right binder or thumbing through a pile of charts.

I have a hard cover folder for mine. I do one of two things. Either fold the
front cover behind and clip it onto my kneeboard or leave it open and clip
the back cover onto my kneeboard. The stylus goes into an elastic holder
when not in use - all the time, any time. I've never been a clip the paper
chart to the yoke kind of guy. I don't why. I have always clipped paper
charts onto my kneeboard so there is no adjustment for me to have the eFB
there instead.

Going to Sun n' Fun?

--
Travis

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Unrelated, but are you still happy with your eFlyBook? I rode along with a
friend to do some of the same approaches using the EFB. It is a major pain
switching approaches and trying to tap in the identifier on the little
keyboard in even minimal turbulence.

They need a function to simply go back one page using the flipper.
Hopefully Arinc will drive the customer service end for them- MA.com is at
a critical juncture regarding their future success.