Old November 19th 19, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Gliding risk....

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 8:33:59 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/19/2019 9:24 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 5:49:22 PM UTC-7, wrote:
For those who haven’t seen it....

https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-o...-what-we-love/

Something that no one addressed is how safe aviation can be. Commercial flight operations, operate under constraints of economics and time schedules, yet the carriers have an outstanding safety record. I never feel safer than when I am flying a helicopter, they don't glide well and every part has to work. Responsibility for safety in soaring and general aviation, largely lays with the pilot and even the choices made before driving to the airport. Every once in a while the breath of a zephyr will take it's fare, but that was always destined to be. After watching many shows of "Air Disaster", "Why Planes Crash"... where the ATP pilots made basic pilotage errors, I will continue to both feel and be safe, flying a glider by merely being a current engaged pilot.

...And continuing to exercise good airmanship.Â* It seems to me that
most, if not all, of the fatal accidents are the result of poor
airmanship.Â* There is usually a series of poor decisions leading up to
the accident and, when the accident is survived, the pilot usually makes
excuses for what happened rather than accepting the blame for his
decisions.Â* I salute the gent who admitted to bad decisions leading to
his crash in the Nevada desert after passing many safe options.Â* There's
only so many times you can poke the bear before you get bit.Â* (Bad
grammar intended).
--
Dan, 5J

In this case the bear was poked only once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-WWdE1_RW0
Some airman can poke the bear more than once, but...