Old March 20th 19, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 10:59:46 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Andy, I know of two mid airs between a tow plane and the glider it just released. One luckily just exchanged some paint, the other was fatal to both pilots. So I would hope and expect the suppression is only during the tow.

Ramy

If the fatal is the one I'm thinking of wasn't that on turn to final on a wave day? I'm thinking that would be long enough to reset even the most poorly designed algorithm. It's not like they're going to make a list of ICAO addresses that never ever get to be targets again. On the other hand, I could imagine some algorithms that might not alarm if you overrun the towplane while on tow or dive at the towplane immediately after release and never get much farther away than 200'. OTOH, maybe they handle that too. If they don't I'm fine and thankful for the quiet. I can keep an eye on the plane right in front of me.

We'll just have to see. Hopefully the algorithm mechanism and criteria for detecting an aircraft as towing you and the mechanism for removing them from 'your towplane' status will be in the release notes. The Flarm guys are clever so I bet they have thought through most scenarios.

Andy