Old September 25th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Default Soaring in China

wrote:
Mitch wrote:

I'm based in Shanghai, have been here a couple of years, and as far as
I know, there's just one place in China where u can go gliding. I never
been there, it's about 3/400kms from Beijing but I cant find the link
of the website at the moment.

I've had an email from the Aero Sports Federation of China who state
that there is Soaring at the Datong Aero Sports School. Datong is in
Shanxi Province and is about 260km W of Beijing. I have a contact phone
number but I'm told they don't speak much English. I'm hoping to get
an email and/or web address.

Nice! Can you give me the phone number? My wife is Chinese so I can get
her to be the intermediary over the phone. Feel free to e-mail it to me
(mike at mikeash.com) if you don't want to post it publicly.

260km is not far at all! That's only about twice as far as I am from my
regular US glider operation.

Having way too much time on my hands I used Google Earth (and
maps.google.com) to find pictures of gliders at an airfield ( 40?
2'22"N 113?23'30"E).
http://tinyurl.com/gkmtx

Cool find. I wish my airport were available so clearly; at maximum zoom
you can just barely make out the *runway*.

There is another airfield about 8km east of this which might be Datong
airport (DAT)?

There are regular trains from Beijing to Datong.

This is all great information. Thanks a lot.

I searched around a little bit and the only mention I could find on the
internet (searching in English) was a brief mention on this page:

http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/J...day%202004.htm

According to that, they have almost 20 ships, so it sounds pretty sizable.
That's about all the information it has, though.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software