Old September 23rd 12, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On 9/23/2012 12:00 PM, wrote:
3.At Silent Electro (FES) is not possible to chose between two
different packs, as this would change CG position and also total
voltage of cells, and caused some additional problems. Silent can
climb about 6500' with only 30kg of batteries which is more than
enough. Adding more batteries would be just more costs and more
weight.

I see the Silent models have changed a bit from the last time I looked,
now with the FES version, which has much more climb capacity the older
electric versions. 6500' is plenty for self-launching and a long
self-retrieve. It would be enough to get most pilots home, and almost
everyone to at least an airport!

I've added the FES site to the "Dealer Contacts" list on the
Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association site (
http://motorglider.org).

Apparently, I misunderstood the purpose of the two battery packs in the
FES Lak 17 that was at the SSA convention earlier this year. You need
both, as Luka points out.

email me)