Old December 22nd 04, 08:32 PM
John Carrier

SNIP

I never lost a 1v1 to an A-4 -- ever. Can't say the same about some
others.

I always approach a "Never" statement from a fellow fighter pilot with a
certain level of skepticism. OTOH, I did a College Dart in an F-4 and
"never" got shot by an F-106 in ten sorties (TACTS data). But then again,
there was this ONE guy .... (and then there were the A-4's the USAF invited
to augment our 4 Phantoms ... they switched sides on day two much to our
chagrin).

Re the A-4. I was adversary in VF-126 a while back. There was a time I
went 1V2 against a couple RAG instructors from 124 (RIO ACM training hop)
who thoroughly humbled me in my two-seater P-6 equipped bogey. Entered
three engagements with both fighters in sight and the best start I could
manage. Dead three times. They complained I didn't challenge them enough.
Well, they were doing things the right way and perhaps I had an off day
(IIRC Eric Hartmann, a fighter driver of some repute had at least nine off
days). Another time, I got 3 gun shots + an Atoll kill in two engagements
(single seat A-4F) ... that's two dead sections and the bad guy lives to
fight another day. On a given day, I felt pretty darned competitive in the
A-4 against any and all opposition.

I've had similar experiences (sometimes favorable, sometimes not) in three
different aircraft types when opposed by the A-4. The A-4's capabilities
were regularly maximized by Top Gun, VF-126 and VF-43 (the adversaries I
faced in my career), you didn't win unless you did everything exactly right.

Its undeniably true the A-4 could be regularly beaten by the application of
skill and patience in the 1v1 arena. Run out of one or the other a bit
early, and the table was turned. That unfortunate circumstance happened
often. Most folks had it happen to them once or twice in the formative
process. I'm much impressed it never happened to you.

R / John