Old September 6th 04, 05:20 PM
ADP

This is one of the strangest threads I've ever read on this group.
It's a bit like arguing about how many aliens it takes to screw in
a light bulb.

You definitely should use a pre-takeoff check list. I can't imagine
anyone arguing about this.
The only relevant pre-landing item is "Gear down and locked".
Everything else should flow from a normal landing.
Use whatever spoilers you need. Keep the airspeed at or above
the yellow triangle. If you have flaps, use whatever you need.
How can you land without looking out? You don't need a
checklist for that. If you don't know what the wind is, you
ought not to be landing there. The landing pattern is no place to
be dumping ballast.

No stalling on turn to final allowed.

Good luck,

Allan

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

...SNIP...

For example: BUFSTALL (In downwind)

Ballast: Dump started 7 minutes ago, valve in open position, water should
be
gone by now.
Undercarriage: Visually check handle is securely in the down position
where
I put it a minute ago.
Flaps: Visually check, securely in landing position where they have been
since pattern entry.
Speed: Still correct for wind and turbulence.
Trim: Still set.
Airbrakes: Visually check, left hand still on correct handle since
testing.
Look: Surrounding airspace and landing area are still clear of conflicting
traffic - select aim point.
Landing: Mentally review, touchdown attitude, flaps to negative after
touchdown, stick back to make tailwheel heavy, brake smoothly.

Used in this manner, the BUFSTALL checklist can be done in just a few
seconds.

Bill Daniels