Old November 28th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Grand Canyon West Airport - 1G4

Jay Beckman writes:

According to what I read recently (I believe it was over at AirNav), you are
not allowed to just wander over to the rim of the Canyon anymore. IIRC, you
used to be able to at one time, but they no longer allow it. Now, I think
you have to be part of a tour or have alternate permission. However, most
who opined did write that the arial views in the vicinity of 1G4 are
awesome.

The rim runs for hundreds of miles, and that vast majority of that is
unfenced. I don't see how anyone could be prevented from walking over
to the rim. Maybe there might be a small fence near the airport, but
if you walk far enough, the fence stops.

I still recall walking through fairly thick forest on the South Rim
when I came upon a clearing, and discovered that the clearing was in
fact a 1000-foot drop off the edge of the Grand Canyon. I wonder how
the first explorers to see the canyon felt when they stumbled upon it.