Old May 17th 05, 02:12 AM
Mark Morissette

As a student still, thankfully I've never had a strike yet...
However, yesterday as I was packing up from some solo short field
practice, I overheard a plane call in a birdstrike on the radio.

Sure enough there were seagull chunks all over the runway...the same
runway I had just landed on a short while before.

They were on their takeoff roll, so they just aborted the takeoff and
taxi'd back to their hanger. No idea what the damage was, if any.

As I was taxiing out for my circuits, I had some suicidal seagulls on
the taxiway, which thankfully decided to fly off when we were far too
close for comfort. (Details on my blog, link below)

At one point in my training me and my instructor also had a flock of
seagulls play "leapfrog" with a service vehicle sent out to chase them
away from the intersection. It was all great fun untill after about
10 minutes of this game I had that epiphany that I was paying $2+ per
minute for the entertainment.

It suddenly wasn't so much fun...but I guess in the longrun, it beat
having a birdstrike.

---
Mark Morissette
Courtice, Ontario, Canada