Old September 20th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Head wind takeoff into rising hills, or crosswind takeoff to open space ??

On Sep 19, 3:26 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:11:36 -0700, P S wrote in
. com:

If you were coming in or going out on 19, would you have issues
with me departing on 28 ?

No. Scanning for conflicting traffic is always an issue at
uncontrolled fields (or airports with operating control towers for
that matter).

You should be aware of these Additional Remarks for Truckee airport
that may influence your choice of runways:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KTRK
- SUMMER DENSITY ALTITUDES IN AFTERNOON FREQUENTLY EXCEED 9000'.
- DOWN DRAFTS MAY BE ENCOUNTERED EXPC WINDSHEAR.

I am acutely aware of such, which is why I don't want to use 19.
The folks who tow gliders were all on 19, and they went out just fine.
Guess the gliders behind did not want the cross wind.

Additionally, you should be aware that the local residents are
attempting to close the airport due to noise complaints, so pilots
using the airport would be well advised to avoid operating over the
city located off the departure end of runway 25:

This sucks. When the hills catch fire, where do they plan to let
the fire fighting aircraft take off ? What if the access road is
blocked,
and the only possibility of fire fighting is from the air ?

There are some houses on the golf course off the departure end of 19,
and seems most of the city is west, north west of runway 28 departure
end. If one departs straight out on 28, I'd say that is more preferred
with a smaller noise footprint.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/region/2005/050107ca3.html
Truckee loses airport board majority
The three new members of the Truckee-Tahoe Airport District
elected to the five-member board in November are members of a
group that wants to limit growth of the Truckee-Tahoe Airport.
Their candidacy was supported by the Community Airport Restoration
Effort (CARE) that had raised concerns about land-use and noise
related to the airport. Their victory came after an emotional and
heavily funded fight. Spending by opponents and proponents totaled
more than $100,000. AOPA had weighed in on the issues with a
series of newspaper ads educating the voters about the value of
the airport. "We don't know what it means for the airport yet,
because we have seen no specific proposals from the CARE
candidates," said Roger Cohen, AOPA vice president of regional
affairs. "But in terms of long-term viability, the airport has
received numerous federal airport grants, and, therefore, the
district is obligated to operate the airport for at least 20
years. They also have grants for land acquisition, and those
grants obligate the district to use that land as an airport in
perpetuity."

January 7, 2005

The datestamp is from 2 years ago. Hope things have changed since
then.