Old February 21st 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Zivley[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm and transponders while towing?

If the PowerFlarm had an option to surpress 1202 transponder codes in
the US that might help. You eliminate the false alarms from gliders
with the hope that those same gliders adopt powerflarm. Knowing the
adoption rate of PowerFlarm at your gliderport of those gliders with
transponders would allow an informed/calculated decision which would
eliminate false alarms and therefore preserve the value of the PCAS
warnings.

On Feb 21, 11:38*am, bumper wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:14*am, Tim Newport-Peace ] wrote:

Not sure about PowerFlarm, but on EU Flarm the is an option to suppress
visual and audible warnings, but still Tx data.

Are you operating in 'Nearest' or 'Collision' mode?

Perhaps the answer is RTFM

No, PowerFlarm doesn't have a "collision" mode that is manually
switched. It does use logic to suppress non-collision likely gliders
that are sharing a thermal, but this is an automatic function. Also,
we are not yet dealing with PowerFlarm vs. PowerFlarm, and I've only
done ground tests with two portable units on a collision course in
golf carts :c) as in the US we are just starting to equip and there
are very few airborne PF's, except at contests.

My use of PF so far, is using only the PCAS functions (where the PF
displays only range and altitude of a Mode-C equipped threat
aircraft).

BTW, I did RTFM . . . several times, honest.

bumper