I recall from my Air Force training, a drawing of the total lift curve
and the position of the aircraft along it, and the explanation went
something like this:

When power is applied, the aircraft speed increases causing, an increase
in lift, which causes the aircraft to climb at the trimmed speed.Â*
Reduce power and the speed decreases causing a decrease in lift, which
causes the aircraft to descend at the trimmed speed.Â* In either case,
the speed change was only momentary.Â* If the position of the flight
controls is not changed, power controls altitude.

On 10/21/2018 9:15 AM, James Betker wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 8:44:46 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 11:49:20 AM UTC-7, James Betker wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 10:31:23 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Effen LOL!

On 10/19/2018 10:35 AM, Papa3 wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 12:01:12 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I had to look it up.Â* Guess I'm not "hip" any more...

On 10/18/2018 5:16 PM, Tango Eight wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 11:43:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Most power(only) pilots are NPCs.
:7|

T8
--
Dan, 5J
The very fact that you used the word "hip" means that, by definition, you are not hip :-) Word.
--
Dan, 5J
I think you're expecting a bit much. That question isn't simple by any means - it's pretty close to the classic "how do wings generate lift" question. E.g. it's full people tripping over other people saying the wrong words but thinking the same things.

Anyone with time in a overpowered aircraft or even a powerful model airplane knows that when you crank up the throttle, airspeed rises. This is because flight in general is an energy state equation. If you add more energy into the system either speed or altitude is going to need to increase and in most cases both do. Surely, the fastest way to get it is to transfer potential energy into kinetic with the pitch control. I'm sure if you changed the question: "what is the fastest way to increase airspeed?", more pilots would answer your question "correctly".

Granted - it does seem that most powered (only) guys don't understand the three types of energy and how they relate to one another. Maybe this is what you guys are talking about.

"when you crank up the throttle, airspeed rises." I would respectfully submit that when you add throttle you climb, you pitch to remain at constant altitude which is why the airspeed goes up? I know in a T-33 I would rather depend on pitch than power to recover from impending stall, same with T-6,... gliders, helicopters.

I'm not an aerodynamicist, so I can't say for sure. I just know from what experience I have that planes seem to speed up AND climb when power is added. I'm sure there's an equation out there somewhere..

Totally agree with you about pitch. Not saying your question has no merit, just that it is worded in a way that might confuse some folks.

--
Dan, 5J