Old December 10th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default SSA Competition Rules Committee Meeting Minutes Now Available

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 11:25:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 10:39:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I hope the "pro-FAI guys" realize that the adoption of the FAI rules will necessitate the elimination of the "Airfield Bonus".

I'm looking forward to the old George Moffat philosophy where a death dive to a landout in the boonies to pick up a few points is preferable to a landing at a safe airfield below.

Oh, and no more "staring out the cylinder top" nonsense either.

Guy Byars

Or that safety finish. "Real" pilots get to the finish.
UH

I'm not really a "pro-FAI" guy but I've found myself persuaded by the guys that are.

The new for 2018 78.5 square mile area start (if you can reach MSH) that degenerates into a 31.4 mile circumference ring start (if you cannot) is what changed my opinion.

The US "beer can" start has always had (in my view) too much tactical importance, especially in crummy conditions. The change from "half a can" to "whole can" turned out to be a half beer too many for me. Some CD's are especially good at calling an MSH that you might, or might not be able to reach and guessing wrong (as a contestant) can be costly!

As far as the safety finish goes, I'm told that t-storm likelihood is handled (correctly, if the weather guy and task setter are on their game) by a larger ring finish (in the initial task call).

Moreover... since US Nats are getting FAI ranking points *now*, what would prevent us from keeping things like the existing safety finish and airport bonus?

Thanks for all you do, Guy & Hank.

best,
Evan / T8