Old June 27th 05, 01:49 PM
Don Johnstone

Sorry I do not see that finding yourself in a condition
where the nose is well up above the horizon, airspeed
rapidly decaying with the possibility of increase wing
load from hanging cable can be described as 'normal'.
It is a situation we train pilots to recover from but
it also goes against the normal training in that the
reference to the horizon means less than normal.
During the launch the attitude to of the glider to
the relative airflow is within the normal parameters.
As soon as the launch fails, for whatever reason, the
situation becomes abnormal. Lowering the nose to an
attitude relative to the horizon will not result in
instant recovery.
My way of teaching was for the student to carry out
the corrective action and then ask a simple questions.
Do I have the approach attitude? Answer no, correct,
answer yes then 'Do I have the approach airspeed? answer
no, check response to answer yes, if that is still
yes then wait until the answer to the airspeed question
is yes. When the answer to both questions is yes, then
and only then decide on the most appropriate course
of action and implement.

Works for me and I have survived 10000 winch launches

At 12:18 27 June 2005, Stefan wrote:
wrote:

But if you are
flying outside normal flight conditions (IE, aerobatics
or cable break
recoveries),

A cable brake during a winch launch is a perfectly
normal flight
condition, and as such, is regulariliy trained. Maybe
I'm wrong, but it
seems you didn't do many winch launches, did you?

Stefan