Old June 27th 05, 02:38 PM

No. Several dozen.

BTW,

For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional
maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an
abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal
flight. This is from the US FARs. While we can discuss ad nauseum
whether a winch launch is an aerobatic maneuver... (and really it
isn't), it clearly requries control motions that constitute aerobatic
flight, and as such represent a "special" set of circumstances.

Note that Chris introduced me to a manuever which can be accurately
described as outside the parameters of normal flight (IE, abrupt change
in aircraft attitude). In preparing to defend the efficacy of winch
launching, you're missing my point. There is a disconnect between the
control actions required for safe recovery from a cable break and the
correction of a stall and/or dropping wing during normal flight. My
point is that the cable break recovery is a special case and needs to
be discussed in depth, and differentiated from the "normal" control
movements to establish and maintain controlled flight. But I digress.
This is the subject of new thread.

BTW, I learned to winch launch under the tutelage of a BGA instructor
in Britain. This concern of the snap spin was never discussed. Recovery
of airspeed, certainly, but no warning against starting a turn.

Per the particulars of earlier notes in this thread, I'll offer some
opinions at length based on what I experienced in my glider yesterday,
but it'll be a few days before I can take the time to document them.

Stefan wrote:
wrote:

But if you are
flying outside normal flight conditions (IE, aerobatics or cable break
recoveries),

A cable brake during a winch launch is a perfectly normal flight
condition, and as such, is regulariliy trained. Maybe I'm wrong, but it
seems you didn't do many winch launches, did you?

Stefan