Old September 30th 04, 04:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Repairing Fiberglass Wheel Pants -- Results

Okay, here's the final tale of the tape:

(These are GPS ground speeds, verified either in absolutely calm air or in
two directions. Probably not a 100% perfect method, but close...)

Without fancy pants: 136 knots at 23 squared.

With repaired fancy pants: 143 knots at 23 squared.

This is a 5% increase in speed -- not bad for wheel pants.

The 143 knots is actually up a knot from when we first got the plane

Actually, I had noticed a gradual decrease in cruise speed over time, which
I had attributed to the engine no longer being brand-spanking new. Now, I
wonder if those wheel pants weren't actually out there flapping in the
breeze, causing increased drag?

Cost of repair/modification: $976. At our current rate of flying (between
150 and 200 hours, annually) they will pay for themselves in around a year.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA