Old February 25th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeB

Default Fuel Quantity Measurement

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:50:38 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

I wonder if a pressure sensor placed inside the bottom of the tank could be
made sensitive enough to "weigh" a column of fuel inside the tank above the
sensor. That would only work for regular sized tanks (no triangles) but
could be integrated over a long enough time to take care of any slosh.

Pressure transducers have sufficient resolution and range to do that.
The problem is that you need to "dial out" the G forces as the fuel
weight will vary with that. For straight and level flight it would be
pretty good.

You are not looking at a garden variety transducer, however; with
avgas at 6#/gal, it takes about 3 feet to generate 1 psi. Depending
on tank geometry and size, I doubt a piston single would exceed that 1
psi. (3 ft tall tank)