Old December 29th 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default XCSoar or LK8000?

On Dec 29, 11:03*am, "PCool" wrote:
Do you really believe so, Ian?
Have you read our web site credits, and the list of people working on?
I dont think so.
I'd like to thank all developers helping me with LK.
Their full names are on the Credits in the software, and on the web site.
Mateusz, Richard, Ulli, Bruno, Kalman, and I am omitting someone.
The next 3.0 is almost ready, after 16 beta releases and 10 months of hard
work.
We believe we did a good job also this time.
Apparently other people think so, and also commercial companies do (see LX
minimap for example, but I have nothing to do with it).

paolo

"Ian" ha scritto nel ternal-september.org...
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:44:09 -0700, "Dan Marotta"

The most significant difference between these two is not their
interfaces or feature list. It is the philosophy of their respective
developers. XCsoar developers encourage teamwork and input from all
interested parties. LK8000 is developed mainly by one individual who
does not encourage cooperative development to the extent that the
rights of the (XCsoar) developers who's code was used in the original
version of LK8000 were infringed for a period.

In the long run, with cooperative development XCsoar will achieve
more than LK8000 and many equivalent commercial products.

Perhaps that is why Xcsoar already runs on Android devices like this
Dell Streak which has the best sunlight readable screen on any
consumer grade PDA and supports ioio hardware which allows Androids
to interface with serial ports on gliding loggers etc and can
simultaneously read NMEA data from Flarm and a gliding computer.

Ie Flarm radar and real time wind data on a screen you can read with
your sunglasses on - available right now!

Ian

Paolo,

Several customers of the Craggy Aero Ultimate Le are also running the
LK8000 software.

I looks extremly nice on a true sunlight readable display,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com