Old October 31st 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default LX Mini Map

On 10/31/2010 11:40 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

One of my concerns (besides the lack of information from NK) is the NK
vario will be no interst to me, and I suspect many other piltos with
fairly well equipepd panels if the vario either does not have an
internal GPS which outputs TAS in the NMEA stream or feed through a
NMEA stream. This includes all extra sentences like from a Flarm/
PowerFLARM and adding the TAS etc. data to it and do all that in a way
that is compatible with popular soaring software (i.e. for a start
emulate a C302 TAS and other NMEA extensions).

I guess this depends on whether they intend the vario only as a
supplement to the ClearNav, or whether they intend it to work also with
other systems. If the former, they would really be limiting its market.

I have an "antique" B50 vario, and it has no problem taking the GPS
stream from my logger, adding TAS, and sending that to CU Mobile. I am
hoping that the NK vario (as well as the LX vario that goes with the
Mini-Map) will also do this.