Old April 17th 05, 03:38 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Default Pentrating Towering Cumulus Clouds

Thunderstorm season is up us. I get a little concerned when I see
towering cumulus clouds forming in my flight path because I know that
towering cumulus clouds can turn into thunderstorms.

1. Assuming that thunderstorms were not predicted for the area, is my
concern unjustified?

2. Do most towering cumulus clouds not mature into thunderstorms?

3. Wouldn't large towering cumulus clouds have chartacteristics similar
to thunderstorms (severe turbulence, possible hail, heavy rain, icing)
even if they don't end up becoming an official thunderstorm (lightning
present).

Your advice and experiences would be most appreciated.

-Sami, N2057M Piper Turbo Arrow III