Old January 30th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Transponder Antenna

On 30 jan, 03:30, wrote:
I installed an L2 antenna in the forward side wall of my cockpit
(LS-8) with my Becker transponder. *I attached it to the side of the
cockpit with velcro. *It has worked perfectly. *The Reno tower reads
my transponder in all orientations to the tower and has no problems
when I am circling. *The antenna will work with any placement as long
as there is no carbon in the panel the antenna is mounted on.

Guy Acheson *"DDS"

Hi,

Pls be very very very carefull if you place a transponder antenna
inside your cockpit.

The radiation of such antenna is really strong, if you do not want to
have an extreme increased chance on cancer you really need to place
the antenna away from your body.

It's hundreds time more strong than the radioation of a mobile phone,
and if no scientific persons wants to say mobile phones are safe, then
transponder antenna's aren't definately not safe.
a 5 hour flight with the antenna next to your body is the same than 5
hours calling with 100 mobile phones at the same time

I have installed it after the bay doors of my engine, there is 2m and
a engine, fuel tank and 2 carbon wings between me and my
transonderantenna