Old May 12th 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Borgelt B50 and PowerFLARM Question

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

I also received a reply from Mike Borgelt stating simply and correctly that
FLARM states that 19200 baud is required. Therefore, I have put together a
K6 Mux system for the customer. It receives the B50 data at 4800 baud and
the FLARM data at 19200 baud and sends everything to the Oudie at 19200
baud. The customer will receive a "plug-n-play" system. The K6 Mux is a
great product. I was just trying to look at all possibilities in an effort
to minimize cost for the customer.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Roger S" wrote in message

On Monday, 11 May 2015 17:18:12 UTC+1, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

A customer has asked me to help him connect his PowerFLARM Core to his
Borgelt B50 and Naviter Oudie.

He had ordered a K6 Mux - which would definitely work, but I wonder if a
simpler and less expensive cable solution would also work well. I have
the
required Goddard PBvB50 cable in stock.

The B50 manual states that it communicates at 4800 baud by default and can
be configured using a jumper to communicate at 9600 baud. The PowerFLARM
and Oudie can also be configured to communicate at 9600 baud.

The big question and the reason for this post is that I'm concerned as to
whether all the GPS and FLARM and B50 vario data can get through every
update at 9600 baud. Most FLARM systems use 19200 baud or higher to make
sure all the data gets through. Does anyone know whether or not this
approach would work?

The goal is to minimize the customer's cost while providing a reliable
system.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

My experience says it won't work with the FLARM feeding through B50 - there
isn't enough time to get the data through at 9600. I managed to get a B50
working with a plain GPS by configuring the GPS to output the minimum number
of NMEA sentences as the default GPS setting sent too much data and it got
garbled. With FLARM data as well there would just be too much.

Roger