Old July 6th 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default FJ-1

To not detract too much from the fun of free distance Kowbell thread, the FJ-1 is the Fred Jiran Model 1.

Built from the wreckage of H-301 serial 33 and some unknown to me H-201. H-301 Serial 33, original holder of N366W was crashed in 1971.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...no=1&pgsize=50

At the time, there was work in progress for allowing 90 degree flaps in Standard Class. Fred decided to build a "proof of concept" plane, so he, along with Alan Bikle and Pat Philbrick, assembled the FJ-1 from the wreckage of H-301 N366W and the cockpit and canopy, etc from a 201.

The wings were repaired, dive brakes removed, and a new set of flaps were built that could be extended 90 degrees. The 201 cockpit (actually, fuselage back through about the aft lift pins) was grafted onto the 301 tailboom. You can tell it is a 201 canopy frame, as there is a significant amount of foam seal between the top of the wing and the bottom of the canopy frame. Likewise, there is considerable buildup of fairing between the fuselage on the bottom of the wing. There are MANY other little changes along the way that have been made, like making the fuselage longer, larger chord elevators, removal (dang it!) of the drag chute, etc.

Anyway, the plane was completed and flown a bit just prior to the Nationals at Marfa in 1972. Pat and Alan flew the plane about 150 hours in 1972, and sold it at the end of the season. It has been through a couple of more owners, and had another accident before it came to me.

I am working up a photo history of the plane. It is a work in progress right now, but here is what I have uploaded thus far.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115961928359530256891/FJ1

The plane has about 1000 hours total time, and is a delight to fly. Quite a change in responsiveness from the Nimbus 3 I also fly!

Steve Leonard