Old July 25th 03, 06:04 AM
Andrew Boyd

vincent p. norris wrote:

I soloed a J-3 after 7.3 hours of dual, and that
was pretty typical

I soloed an SNJ after 12 hours, and so did the other
cadets, most of whom had never been in an airplane before.

There is a school of thought, Vince, that it takes
fewer hours to teach someone the right way to do
something from scratch, rather than having to unlearn
bad habits previously acquired.

This is probably even more true for tasks performed
under stress, and people are more likely to revert to
their (incorrect) primary training, which on a
nosewheel aircraft, is to do pretty well nothing
with your feet.

Needless to say, I'm teaching my eleven year old
kid to fly on a Maule M4-210C:

http://www.pittspecials.com/images/maule.jpg

Another 3 years until he goes solo :-)

--