Old April 26th 05, 11:31 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
Many Europeans tell us we should drive microcars, but they have no
comprehension of just how big and spread out the US is.

Hardly, it's quite possible to make a mid or fullsize diesel car very
economical on fuel. That's why I specifically metioned my Dad's Pug - a
decent sized station wagon that lasted over 350,000 miles (easily up to
the distance), did 40+ MPG all day long, and big enough to throw
building supplies in the back and tow a 1 tonne caravan (travel trailer)
with a racing sidecar outfit. Modern turbo diesels make GREAT all purpose
cars and they can be economical without being 'micro cars'. A turbo
diesel also runs great in the mountains. I've driven a VW TDi over the
Rockies, and its performance was indistinguishable from at sea level.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net