Old August 27th 03, 09:03 PM
baltobernie

The new "high flux emitters" I referenced are packaged differently than the
conventional T-1 3/4 (5mm) LEDs. I haven't seen the design you describe
below, but LED leads are not designed to support the housing, particularly
in a wingtip environment. Also note that, while much more efficient than
incandescents, LEDs still have thermal management issues, particularly the
high power versions.

Bernie

Jay wrote in message
om...
"baltobernie" wrote in message

link.net...
Spatial distribution is going to be your greatest challenge, and you'll

need
to design a multi-surfaced PCB to achieve the required viewing angle

spec.

At least one design bends the device leads at a variety of specific
angles to attempt to get that distribution that's so natural for the
incumbant incandescant bulb and color filter combination.

As for color specs, the regular nav light color filters tend to bleach
out after years in the sun. By comparison the LEDs should look pure.