Old January 25th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Strap-on headlamps and their ilk

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
I'd like to revisit a topic bandied about on this newsgroup many moons
ago. At the time I wasn't in the market for one of those LED gizmos that
straps on the head -- now I am.
I vaguely recall there being some adverse criticism about the inability
to control what was perceived as "too bright." Is that still the case? Or
have the devices improved since then?

There is a lot of variaty in terms of brightness and color (just red, just
white, both). I have one that is just white LED's, but it has three
brightness settings. And it tilts to aim up and down. That works well. Red
would probably be a better option in the cockpit...

If you use one, do you strap it on before takeoff? Or wait until it is
needed to put it on? Do you put in on under or over your headset? In
either case, how long can you tolerate it?

I don't fly much anymore - but I sometimes wear it all night on the boat and
turn it on / off as required.

Batteries last at least a year with ocassional use...

The trick is to not look at people when you talk to them when you have it on
:-)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com