Old June 11th 12, 05:38 PM
atwus atwus is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
NetJets laid off an undisclosed number of employees yesterday in at
least the Ohio offices.

The employees (some as long as seven years) arrived at work yesterday
and were called into meetings where they were told their positions no
longer existed, their benefits end on Friday (June 30th), given a
document outlining the terms of their 'voluntary resignation', and
given an hour to remove their personal property. Two I spoke to said
they were not even assisted removing their belongings, or provided with
boxes/carts or anything. Their access badges were taken, so it was a
one trip deal.

I've seen people fired for 'just cause' get better treatment than these
'voluntary resignees' received.

Perhaps with Warren Buffet's recent donation to the Gate's Foundation,
he has lost concern for his human resources. But then again, they are
voluntarily resigning, so it's not really a layoff, right?

Everyone. All this talk about "right to work" and "helpless employees" is ridiculous. As a former union rep (yes I'm aware unions are not perfect), it is vital to understand that workers have many rights they are not aware of. Both Federal and State law protects workers in a variety of ways. Employers know that and go to great lengths through HR departments to protect themselves from potential lawsuits. They are fully aware that they must comply with protocols when terminating or laying off employees.

I know about the recent NetJets situation. A close friend was let go in a similar manner that has been described. Let me tell you that NetJets is completely out of line with the way they are handling this. And most important, they are not following Bombardier's own procedures; which is the parent company. Forget Berkshire right now. Bombardier has oversight when it comes to NetJets. Yes, they are a Canadian company. I can assure you, however, that they would be shocked at how these layoffs/reduction in workforce are being handled.

NetJets operates like a Mom and Pop operation with an HR department filled with amateurs. They rule by threat and intimidation. To say that workers operate in a hostile work environment is an understatement. Is it all bad? Of course not. But it is clear that NetJets has profound internal problems having been latched on to the big boys without itself evolving into a sophisticated corporate structure.

I believe strongly that a "class action" law suit should be entertained by all those currently suffering under this reduction in workforce. It is being handled in a manner not conducive to conventional HR policy or protocols. Moreover, Federal and State laws might have been violated with regard to age discrimination in certain cases. All of this must be looked into. The press needs to shine a spot light on this to get things going.