Old April 27th 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 11:59:57 AM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 11:34:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:29:57 AM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 8:26:45 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 6:00:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Please review what I've collected to date and follow up here, or directly with additional operational considerations.

A plan for landout seems missing?

Best suggestion so far: Crew tows pilot's trailer with crew's car. Pilot rides back in glider, in trailer :-).

Seriously... a mask, gloves, wipes would do it for me (as in: I would drive your car).

We're not flying because of this https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/...ily-Update.pdf

The cumulative total is -6- Covid-19 cases in the county our airport is located in (20.7 per 100K population). And similar low numbers in surrounding counties. Some of our membership lives in areas with higher numbers. In my community (~5000), there has been one married couple tested positive (travel related), that's it.

VT Governor's house arrest order aside, the chief risk identified by our board was "looking like jerks" by recreating "during the emergency".

T8

T8: Love your seeming rationale: "Because the proscription worked it is not needed."

Prove it worked. Sweden and a few other countries results suggest it has been a dumb ride.

My opinion is that Swedes as a population have a culture that is much more attuned to self imposed social responsibility that Americans.

From the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52395866

"On the face of it little has shut down. But data suggests the vast majority of the population have taken to voluntary social distancing, which is the crux of Sweden's strategy to slow the spread of the virus.

Usage of public transport has dropped significantly, large numbers are working from home, and most refrained from travelling over the Easter weekend.. The government has also banned gatherings of more than 50 people and visits to elderly care homes.

Around 9 in 10 Swedes say they keep at least a metre away from people at least some of the time, up from seven in 10 a month ago, according to a major survey by polling firm Novus."

So the takeaway is that Swedes use the same techniques but didn't need to be ordered.

None of this is proof worthy of shutting down a country or even a gliding club. From the same people who said we could survive a nuclear attack if we hid under our desks...