Old July 24th 03, 09:38 AM
Rob van Riel

"TinCanMan" wrote in message ...
They are combatants, having
been taken on the battlefield or having been found hiding among the
populace. According to what passes as the laws of war, they will be detained
in camps for such and will be released when hostillities are over. You don't
get to decide when that is, the detaining power does.

In other words, you're essentially talking about POWs. POWs have
rights, that are being denied those held at GITMO. Now, I realise that
the US government has decided they have found a legal loophole that
allows them to deny these people POW status, but no lawyer alive can
change the thruth. It is not relevant that many of these people
weren't wearing any kind of uniform when captured, as uniforms were
not in use in Afganistan. Inconvenient to our Western criteria, but
that is the way of that country.

If you don't like it, complain to your
elected officials. I've told mine I was happy with the present status.

I don't, and I don't have to, as they already agree with me.
Unfortunately, the US government couldn't care less about that.

Rob