Old August 10th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John Clonts

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

wrote:
Looking at the FAA version of the approach plate, profile section, it
has
2800 to DOCAP, then descend to 2100 at CICAL for the final approach
into
OLV.

The 2,800 ft segment you see is the Hold-in-Lieu. A HIL is part of the
initial segment, which doesn't begin until the IAF. From your
direction of flight, the HIL wasn't required for you, so its altitude
didn't apply.

Regardless, ATC has a right to assign you an altitude to maintain until
you arrive at a certain fix; only AFTER you arrive there do published
altitudes apply. Until then, you're relying on their MVA to keep you
safe.

If they had cleared you to ECILE, and told you to maintain 2,100, then
there would have been a problem. You're fine until you get to ECILE,
but the moment you pass that fix, you're in violation of 91.177.

Same thing if you had come from the north direction to DOCAP. You'd be
fine at 2,100 until the fix, but the HIL is required from this
direction and you'd be in violation of 91.177 once you started the hold
entry.

It seems to me you are ignoring the depiction of the southern sector on
the map view that shows 2800. This applies to aircraft inbound to
DOCAP from anywhere southern. Why are you saying that it does not
apply? (I.e. why is the controller allowed to clear the a/c to DOCAP
and descend to 2100?).
--
Thanks,
John Clonts