Old July 16th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default MSL vs. AGL (Again)

On Jul 15, 2:44*pm, Bill D wrote:
On Jul 15, 2:57*pm, Andy wrote:

On Jul 15, 10:11*am, Bill D wrote:

If you want to see them sweat bullets, take one who is seeking to add
a -G to their CFI certificate out of gliding range of the home field
and ask, "Exactly how much altitude do we need to get back".

If you are out of gliding range the answer doesn't matter until you
find lift and then want to know when to leave it. *Up to then the
correct response may be "You have control".

Suddenly, a correctly set altimeter becomes a big deal.

Correctly set yes, but the problem can be solved whether it is set to
the correct QFE or set to the correct QNH. *It's actually easier in
this case to use QFE since if the altitude needed is less that the
indicated altitude then you have a glide solution. No need to worry
about the value of field elevation. *In the above I'm assuming that
altitude needed is the altitude expected to lost in making the glide
plus the arrival margin, not the absolute altitude. *That, after all,
is what has to be determined first.

I'm not arguing for using QFE, just pointing out you have selected a
poor reason for not doing so.

Andy

Your objection only holds true if you manage to return to the
departure airfield. *"Out of gliding range" implies the flight may end
somewhere else.- Hide quoted text -

No - your stated question was - "How much altitude do I need to get
back?", not "How much altitude do I need to landout?".

Andy