Old February 9th 12, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 9, 1:25*pm, Bart wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:32*am, John Cochrane
wrote:

When you look at it this way, you see that not only do we need a ban
on AH, it has to be very clear to everyone that the ban is enforced.
Everyone around you needs to see that you're not carrying an AH. It's
not enough to say "oh yeah, that big thing in the panel. I pulled the
tube out the back." You may have, but others don't really know you
have, so we again unwind the gentleman's agreement.

John,

What is the policy regarding unidentified instruments? You see, I
happen to enjoy making my own gadgets.
Let's imagine that I entered a competition and you are the CD or a
fellow competitor. You glance at my panel and see this weird, LCD
screen. Out of curiosity, you ask "what is it?".

My answers:

(1) I would rather not answer.
(2) It's an intelligent vario. I made it myself!
(3) It's an intelligent vario. One with g-meters, gyros etc. I made it
myself!
(4) It's an intelligent vario. One with g-meters, gyros etc. I made it
myself! In theory, it could even act as an AH, I just haven't written
the firmware yet.
(5) It's an intelligent vario. One with g-meters, gyros etc. I made it
myself! It could even act as an AH, but I have a vario-only version of
firmware loaded right now.
(6) It's an intelligent vario and AH. I made it myself! I promise I
will not use it as an AH.

What would you do? Note that no matter what my answer is, you have no
way of verifying it - short of reverse-engineering the device.

Bart

If I was the CD or scorer (and I have been both) I would respond as
follows:

1. Expect to have your altitude trace closely compared against others.
Remember rule 6.1
2. Very nice! See 1
3. Even nicer! See 1
4. See 3
5. Show me your waiver. If no waiver, here is a screwdriver
6. Show me your waiver. If no waiver, here is a screwdriver

QT