Old November 12th 15, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

Default Help info needed on oudie n ewmicrorecorder

The EW has it's own intenal GPS and records position & altitude data. It
does not record any position data from the Oudie. The trace gets recorded
in a secure IGC format & can be used for badge claims, comps, world records
etc.

The Oudie also has it's own internal GPS & is fairly happy to work without
connection to the EW. The non-IGC Oudie logger trace can't be used for
badge claims, world records, depends on the scorer for comps.

So the pair will work fairly happily without any form of connection.

However some of the early Oudies has issues with "smoothing" of the GPS
position data (The hardware was originally intended as an automotive
SatNav) so the Oudie will work "better" if it gets GPS data from the EW.
And at least then what you see on the Oudie will be what get recorded in
the EW so no shance of thinking that you've reached a TP only to find that
your claim gets rejected.The other advantage of connecting the two is that
you should be able to declare your task from the Oudie to the EW.

HTH

KN

At 00:25 12 November 2015, dan nezgoda wrote:

I am an old geezer returning to soaring after years of hiatus. I go bac
to sectional maps, hand held final glide calcs n cameras mounted to th
canopy. I purchased a glider with an oudie and a ew microrecorder with
handfull of cables.
a few questions:
I can work the oudie ok, its great and I understand the microrecorde
records flight data, but

-does the ew recorder record the flight data it captures itself? I se
the remote gps is plumbed to the recorder.

-does the recorder record the data it gets from the ouies gps?

-do I need to have an interconnect between the oudie and the recorder
or can I just let the ew recorder capture its internal data to give me
record of the flight. I see some comments saying improper plumbing o
oudie to ew recorder will cook the ew recorder.
Any help will surely be appreciated.

Da

--
dan nezgoda