Old September 18th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve - KDMW

Default Overhaul !!!!! ??????

On Sep 17, 2:41*pm, Charles Talleyrand wrote:
My local mechanic says that I need to overhaul my engine. *It's got
1200 hours but it's been 27 years since the last overhaul. *He's
worried about the age, and he hears "piston slap" when he runs the
engine. *Compression and oil analysis are fine. *He is well respected
around the local airport.

He proposes either a name brand $16,000 overhaul, or a less costly
option where he and a local aviation mechanic professor can work on it
together ("two eyes are better than one" he says).

If it makes a difference, I don't live in farmland. *I live in the
forest, with forest and lake for 100 miles in every direction.

Any advise? *Any way to explain to the wife? *Anyone want a nice C-150
with a new paint job but a tired engine?

Go read Mike Busch's articles on engine overhauls at www.avweb.com or
http://www.savvyaviator.com/articles.html. He has a lot of great
advice. I can guarantee you the advice he would give you for your
engine (read article #9 on his website) would be to replace what needs
to be replaced. An overhaul without bottom-end problems is a waste of
money.

Steve
KDMW
PA28-151