Old January 16th 04, 08:17 AM
Marty Shapiro

Don Tuite wrote in
news
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:49:16 -0000, Marty Shapiro
wrote:

The SOCATA Rallye does NOT have a stall warning device!

It has automatic leading edge slats which will pop out at larger
angels of attack, but you are still well above stall.

A power off stall is very interesting in this aircraft. You start to
get stall buffett and, if you simply hold the yoke all the way back,
you descend a little over 1000 fpm with the nose level on the horizon.
You can turn with just the ailerons as you are descending.

What happens if you yank the sitck back?

Or if you start to apply rudder to accelerate a turn and then apply
opposite aileron to keep from banking too steeply and just keep on
crossing the controls while you bleed off airspeed?

Just curious. I'm sure the results in the Socata are benign.

Don

I've gotten a slight stall break in a 3/4 power on stall. Very benign with
a slight fall off to the right which was easily countered with ruddder.
With full power and no flaps, I've approached stall buffet, but at that
point I was more than 30 degrees nose high and felt like I was going to
tumble out of my seat backwards. And, at the onset of stall buffet, I was
still climbing!

The Rallye is a STOL aircraft with oversized control surfaces and Fowler
flaps. I have done turns starting from a maximum forward slip and didn't
notice any adverse behavior, but I was probably 10 knots above stall.

I've done 45 degree banked turns at MCA and found the aircraft handling to
be smooth and solid. One of my partners has gone to 60 degrees bank at MCA
and said he had the same results.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.