Old February 9th 04, 03:42 PM
Kees Mies

The Socata Rallye has a stall warning!
Their famous automatic leading edge slats are it.
At least, that's what I use them mainly for. They are great speed
brakes too.
I do not pay much attention to the air speed at take off or on short
final.
When I see the leading edge go forward about 4 inches from the corner
of my left eye, I know it is time to have a look at the dials.

To my opinion these are the best stall warnings one can have.
Instead of a lot of noise(a Rallye is noisy enough) and some red
light, they keep the stall away for about 15 kts.
This said, do not try to flare a Rallye at too high speed.
The slats pop out and you go up again.

And they keep the Socata leading-edge-slat-roller-division going.

Regards,
Kees
MS880B

Marty Shapiro wrote in message ...
Roy Smith wrote in news:roy-
:

Researching a question from a club member, I read in the FAR's:

§**23.207 *Stall warning.
[...]
(b) The stall warning may be furnished either through the inherent
aerodynamic qualities of the airplane or by a device that will give
clearly distinguishable indications under expected conditions of flight.

Every plane I've ever flown has a mechanical stall warning device (some
visual, some aural), but apparantly it's possible to certify a plane
without one. Does anybody know of any real life examples of planes
certified without stall warning devices?

The SOCATA Rallye does NOT have a stall warning device!

It has automatic leading edge slats which will pop out at larger angels of
attack, but you are still well above stall.

A power off stall is very interesting in this aircraft. You start to get
stall buffett and, if you simply hold the yoke all the way back, you
descend a little over 1000 fpm with the nose level on the horizon. You can
turn with just the ailerons as you are descending.