Old April 8th 20, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:41:36 PM UTC+1, Magnus wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 7:31:13 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:04:43 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Did you consider a Diana 2-FES? Mine delivers this month.
I chose it because it's a proven performing 15m glider, and it has the proven electric FES system. I don't want to be a test pilot for a new system with bugs.

I didn't place my order until I confirmed the performance figures myself and flew it to evaluate the handling, I would not trust any predicted/calculated numbers.

Are the Diana 2 FES and Lak 17B FES officially "self starters" - i.e. self-launchers as are the GP 15 and the Mini-LAK? Please correct me if I am wrong but I wasn't aware that they are other than self-sustainers, although I believe self-launching is unofficially possible in the right wind/runway/weight conditions.

LAK 17B FES is a sustainer but the new 17C FES is claimed as a self-starter (as miniLAK) with higher landing gear for propeller clearance, stronger FES, different aerodynamicall configuration of wings and fuselage according to LAK. For the Diana 2 FES I don't know.

Thank you for enlightening me Magnus. I didn't see that one on the LAK website.