Old November 3rd 04, 03:24 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 03:59:31 -0800, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

I may have to go to the Regina, SK, CA/Minnesota area this winter for 2
months.

First Is Snow How Deep Before Ski's Are Needed? Ware to obtain ski's for a
cessna 150?

Most airports will be plowed, and you would only require skiis if
landing offsite (like on a lake), or if it is snowing so hard that the
airport cannot keep up. I have landed my Cherokee in 1-2 inches of
snow, and it was fine. Be sure to remove your wheel pants. I have
heard that snow can get packed in the pant and either cause damage to
the pant, or to the tire.

Best Type of Oil Heater?

I've used a Red Dragon preheater to start down to 0degF. Be patient,
and let it run for a long time (30+ minutes). Definitely use a cowl
cover to help keep the heat in the cowling. The best pre-heat is just
to keep the plane in a heated hangar.

I Notice in the manual something about a winterization Kit Can I
install/uninstall it my self? Can you still buy the winterization kit? If so
ware is the best place to buy?

I don't know about the C150, but for the PA28-180, the oil temp will
not get above 125deg without the winterization kit. So it is a must
for winter flying. Just be prepared to take it off if you fly South
into warmer weather.

Any Tips For Landing on Ice And Snow!

Make sure your crosswind technique is spotless, and the crosswinds are
light. Seriously, landing on ice, or packed snow with a crosswind is
not easy. Once the plane gets moving sideways on ice it is difficult
to stop the side-motion given the lack of friction between the gear
and the runway. This is especially true as the plane slows down and
the control surfaces become less effective.

Also, taxiing on ice is difficult. Some ramps have a slant to them,
and the plane will want to 'fall' off the ramp.

One more tip for landing. Bring the plane to a complete stop on the
runway, then begin your taxi phase. A lot of pilots have thought they
have control of the plane, try to make a taxiway, and then end up in a
snowdrift.

Taxiways and runways will be lined with snow, possibly several feet
deep. As such, wingtip clearance (particularly on lowwings) needs to
be watched closely. Stay in the middle of the taxiway/runway and
watch those wingtips.

Any Extra Pre-Flight Inspections Needed For Extreme Cold Weather

Wear warm clothes in the plane, and have extra blankets for
passengers. Airplanes tend to be drafty, and when the OAT is below 0
deg F, it gets cold in a hurry.

Have a good pair of sunglasses. On a bright sunny day with snow
covering the ground, the brightness can be overwhelming.

When it is snowing lightly, VFR conditions will often be reported at
nearby airports. In flight visibility with snow can be quite low,
basically making it an IFR flight.