Old September 4th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default FAA Awards $1.8 BILLION ADS-B Ground Station Contract

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:48:00 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

ADS/B will work well for the airlines, and I would guess ground
controllers will be pleased with the additional information. But what
about military aircraft?

What about military aircraft? (btw - you might want to ask about ALL
non-civilian aircraft, foreign and domestic, not just military aircraft).

From what I recall, the military has no intention to equip its
aircraft with ADA/B. Instead, there has been a proposal to create
another (ground based) system to broadcast their position to the ADS/B
network. That would seem to defeat the ability of ADS/B equipped
aircraft to detect each other independent of third parties.

I expect DoD aircraft will get ADS-B, assuming sufficient funding is
provided by Congress.

They claim there is no room to install the equipment in many of their
aircraft:

http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_paper...relli_adsb.pdf
ADS-B TO LINK-16 GATEWAY DEMONSTRATION: AN INVESTIGATION OF A
LOW-COST ADS-B OPTION FOR MILITARY AIRCRAFT

George S. Borrelli, The MITRE Corporation, Bedford, MA 01730
Disclaimer: “The statements contained herein are that of the
author and not of the FAA, nor of the United States Air Force.”

Summary A new system was demonstrated as a prototype that provides
the advantages of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast
(ADS-B) for the military, yet totally avoids military aircraft
modifications. The system was demonstrated on operational United
States Air Force (USAF) aircraft using ADS-B equipped general
aviation aircraft as the source. The demonstration was conducted
in 2003. The result of the demonstration was highly positive
commentary from engineers and the pilots. Although significant
work remains prior to full fielding and operations, a decision was
made to incorporate the prototype into a future datalinks concept.

Introduction In certain regions of the world, military aircraft
actively and heavily share airspace ...