Old February 13th 15, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_3_]

Default New Cobra trailer - - which top?

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 9:36:57 AM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Thursday, 12 February 2015 07:17:26 UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 2:29:33 AM UTC-5, BG wrote:
One fairly consistant problem I have seen in a number of aluminum trailers, is a distortion near the front hinge on the top. It allows the top to shift forward and creates interference at the rear with hard closing and misalignment of the latches. The distortion appears right at the corner. I believe it occurs with the forward loading on the top coming from the rather strong gas struts over time.

Of the five aluminum Cobra trailers parked at the field, three have this problem. None of the fiber glass top trailers show a similar problem.

Buzz Graves

Plenty of fiberglass tops have the same problem;
actually any trailer produced prior ~ 2010 IIRC.
Later trailers have a small block carrying loads
from top's lower side-rail and pressing against
front hinge plate.

I designed a fix with Alfred and can post info if
anyone is interested...

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

Dave, please post the fix designed. I remember the discussion from a few years ago but know that I have a Cobra trailer again I am interested

Ron Gleason

I just had my 30 year old cobra trailer's flip door fixed. I replaced the gas struts and sure enough it cause the top to shift even more then it already had. I had them weld braces in the front corners and repainted it. All the riding over bumpy roads over the years works the aluminum because it has insufficient bracing.

Dennis