Old September 14th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Mxsmanic wrote:
Margy Natalie writes:

My primary flight instructor had a great saying "Do whatever it takes".
If you are flying into a short field with minimal wind full flaps
would make sense. If you are flying into a long, high-speed runway
(like Dulles or something) a no flap landing can be used.

Is there a reason why you'd want to land with no flaps?

Fast approach speed. At Dulles I would take the plane over the numbers
at cruise speed. You have lots of room to slow down as it's 4000' to
the first taxiway. If you learn to do it it's not that hard. If it's
REALLY windy you might want to opt for a no flap landing.

I have a great idea, why don't you get a few hours in a "real" airplane.

Too expensive and too time-consuming. And I seriously doubt that I
would learn much of anything useful in just a few hours. If I had
time and money, I'd much prefer to spend it in certified full-motion
simulators, which would give me essentially all the experience of real
flight with zero risk and maximum flexibility and enjoyment.

Take at least an intro flight in a real airplane. I think the enjoyment
will really beat any sim.

Margy