Old April 28th 05, 12:06 AM
Tony Verhulst

The exercise of good common sense by operators and insurers would go far to
"change this". Let's not insist on the government doing our thinking for us, we
are unlikely to be happy with the result. The exercise of such "common sense"
that goes far beyond the minimum letter of the FARs is very common in the
soaring world.

I agree with this and suggest that this is already the typical case -
and wonder why this did not happen here. The FAA really only certifies
to the minimum standards. When not in my LS6, I fly a Skylane and have
high performance and complex endorsements. As far as the FAA is
concerned, I can quite legally jump into a Bonanza and commit aviation.
But, the insurance company would say "hold on, cowboy".

Tony V.