Old April 18th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Kite flying

Google found it. This kite would really sail. Gibson Girl.
http://robroy.dyndns.info/targetkites/Mike/gibson01.jpg
A thousand feet up was easy for this kite.
John Severyn
@KLVK

"J. Severyn" wrote in message
Well I don't know about the folks in your area, but when I was a kid I had
a box kite I rescued from the surplus store. It was part of the antenna
from a life raft (came complete with instructions for connecting to a hand
cranked SOS transmitter). We had around a mile of heavy lacing cord on a
reel that helped us crank the kite up into the air. When all the cord was
released, we could just barely see the kite which was orange cloth on an
aluminum tube collapsible frame.

Come to think of it, I think I still have that kite. Fun 50 years ago.
We had no idea that we might be doing something illegal. Thanks for
bringing back the memory.

John Severyn
@KLVK

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow, how high were they flying those kits? 100 feet would seem quite
high for a kite. Maybe I'm wrong here.

-Robert