Old July 2nd 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_3_]

Default What does it cost to own an airplane?

A sophistry I am currently using to justify owning the plane is to not
figure in the costs of the hangar in the airplane costs.

The hangar is just a building that I store things, one of which is the plane.
If I had to pay the going rate in my area for self-storage for my hangar
then I would have to pay close to $4,000 a month (figured on a square foot
basis). Now I happen to outright own my hangar (I do have to rent the ground
for ~$300 a year), but if I was paying a 15 year mortgage on it I'd be
paying something like $500 a month on the note. Soooo, by owning a hangar
I am saving something like $3,500 a month.

Please don't bother to point out the fallicies here. This is my accounting
and it doesn't seem that much more dubious than what I see a lot of hedge
fund managers doing.

Besides, this is America. It doesn't matter how much you pay, what's
important is how much you save.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"