Old January 16th 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Benalla

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 5:29:27 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 2:56:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Not really... 18 and Open class (I hear) have been fairly split up on course. I've been flying basically alone for the majority of my flights on each day, perhaps with 1-3 other gliders for a portion. I have intentionally left well ahead of the gaggle and many others in other classes, are doing the same. Think Tour de France break aways. It's really fun racing rather than playing chance and weather guess.

Fortunately, the gaggle has been caught starting too late a couple times and has been too inefficient (2-4 kph slower).

There was a collision at Uvalde in 2012 right? Hmmm. Generalizing and diminishing this event sounds like sour grapes to me. IMO (as a pilot flying here) the flying is almost exactly the same as in any large contest in the USA. The most frightening flying I have ever witnessed was the pre-startvgaghle at seniors to be perfectly honest. The difference is that everyone here is VERY good and is fully capable of staying with others as long as they want. So the gaggles I have witnessed here are often together at the same altitude more at the start and apparently out on course in 15m especially.

Another rule system would not alter this behavior much if at all.

The US starting system max altitude rule requiring a decent below and then waiting 2 minutes below that a max altitude probably would have causes 10 crashes here by now. What a ridiculous rule! That US starting rule consistently creates the most dangerous moments that I have ever witnessed in soaring and worries me much more than anything I have seen here! The "no max start altitude" start system used here at the WGC (IGC rules) creates the best starting safety possible and rewards the best pilots for using the available lift and getting higher. The starts here are docile in comparison to the "US start circle of death" as we call it... Gaggle climbs up above max height in strong thermal, descends at high speed circling thermal, waits two minutes, then recenter and climbs while others exit and renter, descend and climb...mass chaos and extremely dangerous! "US rules patented!"

So I suggest thinking this thru a little bit more intelligently before attacking the IGC (again for the 300 time) and trying to delegitimize the WGC event. The US rules are terrible. Some aspects are ok. And the IGC feels pretty much the same as do almost all pilots outside the USA. So US thinking is virtually insignificant. Keep that in perspective...

My opinion is that only one pilot in each class should be here. That means less traffic and eliminates large gaggles, team flying and much of the complexity, as well as high cost of sending six gliders...

I am enjoying this WGC event immensely. It has been really fun (minus the collision)! It's really nice to participate in a "real racing" competition and not exclusively a chance weather guessing game like we are forced to endlessly endure in US contests.

I had even more fun in Horsham at the FAI SGP Australia as it was only 15 gliders and pure racing!

Actually at Uvalde 2012 there were two collision. One with only wingtip damage (both gliders returned to land) and the other involved parachutes. sounds familiar?

True - same order, too; the touch, a briefing, then more serious collision.