Old June 3rd 05, 04:37 AM
Bill Daniels

"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
I also know the classical arguments like "a nautical mile
equals a minute of latitude", but how often do you fly true north or
south?)

Airplane pilots like to look at the length of a course line, compare it
to the minutes latitude and know exactly the distance without the use of
any other tools. I understand that there are other tools. I was raised
as a Dutch man and brought up with the metric system - and prefer it.
But, to me nautical miles make sense, YMMV.

On another topic, why have horizontal speed in km/h and vertical speed
in meters/sec? To me, this is odd. If the units were the same, you could
simply divide one into the other and get the L/D - again, YMMV.

Tony V.

Knots, MPH, KPH, meters/sec are just numbers. Just read the POH and fly the
numbers.

However, I have a beef with metric altimeters. The large hand reads 1000
meters per rev. An imperial units altimeter reads 1000 feet per rev. 1000
meters = 3281 feet so the metric altimeter is less than 1/3 as sensitive as
the one based on feet. To me, that seems inadequate.

I like to see the altimeter hand move with small changes in altitude.
That's confirmation that all is well in the instrument panel. I've seen
haywire varios insistently reading up while the altimeter was winding down.
I'm not sure I would have spotted that as quickly with a metric altimeter.

I suppose there is no reason that a metric altimeter could not be more
sensitive. With today's digital technology, 100 meters per rev should be
possible. I've never seen one that sensitive.

Bill Daniels