Old June 25th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cmyr

Default Wood grain orientation in a built-up spar

In my effort to learn/remember/practice correct building
procedures,I monitor several wood aircraft design sights. In the
emerauders group,much discussion about using a wingspar that was built
and purchased by another builder. The Emeraud spar consists of 2
laminated built ip beams,w ply intercoastals, and boxed front and rear
w/ply. The spar in question was made with vertical grain wood, and
laminated with the grain perpendicular relative to the wing chord, I
believe the spar caps and laminations should have grain approx.
parallel to the wing chord. If anyone has a definitive answer that may
even prevent an accident go yo yahoo groups,emerauders